Saturday, March 28, 2009

Safe picks during a recession

In this post I wanted to talk about stock picks during a recession. The top of my list is pharmaceuticals. People are always going to need their medicine no matter what times we are going through (check out my link. He has a couple of outstanding picks for these). My other choices all go together. You are going to want to pick companies that you buy every day like Proctor and Gamble (PG), Walgreen's (WAG), Coke (KO), Pepsi (PEP) and stocks like these. Here is the reason behind it. During a recession people are always going to buy these products. Smokers are still going to smoke, drinkers are still going to drink. I threw WAG in there because that is the leading company for pharmaceutical buying although Wal-mart is now in that business and trying to take some of that away (that is another good stock). Here is the problem with this though. A lot of people know this already and stocks are in the $40 range for most of them. Stocks to stay away from are financial institutes and car companies. As I mentioned that most of the stocks you should buy in a recession are above $40 but check out my link (stock horizons) and he has a couple of good pharmaceutical companies listed that are cheap and great picks.


0 comments: